This summer I’m going to work on a few creative non-fiction essays to push myself, and take Jill Soloway‘s advice and you know, actually write if I’m going to be a writer.
I thought I would post some of the topics here to initiate conversation with YOU either here [read post below] or in real life if we’re so lucky as to be able to spend time together.
I have said before that I’ve already begun an essay based on an certain incident where the guy I was dating googled, “What if I have a small vagina?” [I can only imagine the comments you would leave for that one…], here are some other topics, but no more revealing the punch lines:
- frustration with the “He’s just not that into you.” movie and general attitude.
- Los Angeles.
- post-grads with no job/gradschool…the liminal space we inhibit.
- WRITING. […and reading]
- being a bridesmaid.
- weddings, marriage, etc. [especially for young people like us]
- Grosgebarbie origin and adventures.
- my problem with hipster activists [also known as t-sips, Crazy A’s, and people like them].
- WTF is up with the F word today [you know I have to do a feminism one].
- girl crushes [and mentors].
- guy friends who clue you into the way guys really think [or guy writers].
- The Hills and other reality shows we feel are ripping off our REAL lives.
- “What I think about when I’m suppose to be doing my final relaxation in yoga” and other work-out follies.
- twitter, facebook, stumble, visualize.us, and the other formats for connecting.
- being a Texan.
- “What if I was a lesbian?” sororities, etc. the hush about homosexuality in College Station as seen by a straight, white girl.
So in your comments or convos, I’d love for you to either share a story about you and one of these topics [involving me or not], a memory, something you read/saw, or what you hope this topic will grow into.
All in all, I want to end the summer with 6 good, no GREAT essays and I need your energy and encouragement to get there.