So when will the updates stop and the issue come out? Two weeks?! Hopefully.
We keep thinking of more aspects to include so that vandal is more than just a journal of good work, but a must-read, must-have how-to to getting moving towards social change. While putting it together, I too wanted to feel moved and we are just now getting there. Below is a table of contents of sorts that highlights what our issue will include:
- poetry by Suheir Hammad [possibly other material as well].
- essay by Emily Raboteau and introduction to journal section explaining how to scale a wall.
- poetry by Jimmy Santiago Baca [and possible introduction to section].
- interview with Kathleen Cleaver [done by Daniel and I last Wednesday].
- scrapbook of Medea Benjamin and Ann Wright‘s two trips to Gaza this spring.
- poetry from editor of The Pedestal Magazine, John Amen.
- tribute profiles of Roberto Bolano, June Jordan, and Grace Paley.
- artwork and interview with Paolo Piscitelli.
- top-ten must read books compiled by Angie Cruz.
- book review of the newly released novel by Victor LaValle.
Of course, there are other works to be included, but these are the ones that will bring the most chatter.
Each section of work will be broken up detailing procedures on how to scale a wall, literally. So by the end of the journal readers will be able to assess their own wall/struggle and begin to climb it.
Hopefully, fingers crossed, the next update will be the last and will be a run down of everything to expect in the issue and will include the release date.